Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 3: Aaron Carter...not as cool as he use to be

I have a mildly interesting news flash...my blog now officially has a theme!

I have decided to work my way through my great-grandmother's recipe notebook. I will be cooking or baking one thing a week and sharing my experience! And yes, I am aware there was a movie made about this very thing and I am being a copycat.

 Anyway, this Monday's attempt was Cowboy Cookies. I had fun with this adventure because I was remembering all the times me and my grandmother use to make them. Make sure you see yesterday's post for the recipe. Next Monday's recipe was picked by two of my coworkers. They both agreed they'd like to taste a yellow log cake and with caramel icing.

Now on to Day 3 of Blogarama 2011. Today is the day I'm supposed to tell you about my first love. I considered making my entire blog devoted to Aaron Carter, whom I thought I was in love with back in 2000. I was only 11 so stop judging me! And in my defense he was pretty cute!


After making the wise decision not to write about Aaron, I thought maybe I'd talk about my long standing love affair with Oreos.


But, I know what the challenge really means so I'll stop avoiding the topic and dive right in!

I met my first love when I was 15. We'll call him "Bob". Bob and I became good friends after a mutual friend introduced us. We started dating when I was 16. My mom was super protective of me and wouldn't let me go on unsupervised dates with Bob, so his best friend "Tom" had to go with us everywhere we went. Does that sound odd to you? It should. I thought it was odd. Anyways, Tom was an 18 year old hell raiser, but my mom thought Tom hung the moon! She of course had no idea and was content to let me climb in a rusty old Nissan truck and let me ride away as long as Tom was there!
Just so you can get a visual
 But back to Bob. After he grew on Mom she finally let us go on unsupervised dates. Love bloomed and died, then bloomed again and died, then bloomed one last time but eventually died a violent death my freshman year of college. Bob and I had just grown apart as most young couples do. We were going in completely different directions, and both of us were too stubborn to work things out. After a few years of awkward avoidance in such a small town, Bob and I are on friendly speaking terms. He is happy, and has a precious baby and a very sweet girlfriend. As for me, I am single and loving every minute of it. I really think it worked out for the best that we took those different directions. The best lesson I learned from our relationship was that God knows what He is doing. It was hard at the time but has worked out for the best for everyone in the end!

Want to know what happened to Tom? He and I became best friends soon after Bob and I started dating. We stayed best friends even through the break-up. And I am proud to say Tom is now a part of my family :-) See...everything did work out for the best in the end!

3 comments:

  1. And this is proof positive you are meant for bigger and better things (you know what I'm talking about)...enjoyed the blog! Well written! And, oh, by the way, in 2000 I was making a name for myself out in Seattle enjoying my 20's. Thanks for making me feel old! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I will forever be grateful that Bob came into your life bringing Tom along with him. :) Also, I will forgive you for the Aaron Carter thing if you forgive me for Miley Cyrus... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Elke! Age is just a number. Mine just happens to be lower than yours lol and yes I know what you are talking about! Thank you :-)

    Touche, sis. Touche.

    ReplyDelete