Monday, March 21, 2011

Cookbook Mondays: Apple Cake

I know, I am extremely late! I had a crazy day today! Check my daily blog challenge to hear more about that.

Today's creation was Apple Cake! I had never heard of such a thing before. Apple pie, apple fritter, apple butter, but not apple cake. I had a tough time with this one. Once again, I didn't read the recipe thoroughly enough, and it was not until I dived right in did I realize the recipe was lacking a few important steps. I think I did pretty well filling in the blanks though! I don't have a picture this time. The poor lighting in the kitchen made the cake look quite disgusting, but I promise it tastes great! Here is the recipe in it's original form, I'll tell you what's missing after...

Apple Cake

Serve it warm or cold with topping of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
grated rind of one lemon
2 cups chopped apples

Cream shortening. Add gradually. Creaming all the time. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk. Stir in lemon rind and chopped apples. Pour batter into greased and floured 9 x 12 inch pan. Cover cake with mixture.

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup moist coconut
1/2 cup pecans chopped or whole

Bake in preheated 375 degrees about 45 minutes or until done.

Do you see what I mean? A) She forgot to write down flour. I took a guess and put in 2 1/2 cups because that is what her other cakes called for. B) She says add gradually. What was I supposed to add gradually? I am still lost on that. C) What kind of apples? Red? Yellow? Green? I only had red so that is what I went with. D) Does that mixture go on the cake before or after it is baked? I assumed after. E) What is a 9 x 12 inch pan? I used a 9 x 13 inch pan.

*sigh* Even after all that, I think it turned out pretty well! I don't like lemon so I left that out and replaced it with cinnamon. I also don't like coconut or pecans so my newly created topping just has butter, brown sugar, and more cinnamon. I hate that I couldn't follow her recipe exactly, but I really like my version!

Oh and if you want to try this at home, DO NOT keep that cake in there 45 mintues! 25 is perfectly fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment