Saturday, June 2, 2012

Easy Peach Cobbler

For those of you who don't know me and don't feel like going back to read my first few blogs (I don't blame you), my name is Courtney. About a year and a half ago I found my great-grandmother's handwritten recipe notebook. I decided that I should type up the recipes and share them with my family so that my Mammy's memory could live on through her favorite activity, cooking. Soon the idea came to me that I should make a blog out of it. Sort of like "Julie and Julia". I quickly found out that Mammy had some complicated recipes in that book! She also tended to leave out key ingredients, oven temperatures, and times. I don't think she ever intended for anyone else to use the book so what she didn't write down was in her head. I soon ventured away from the notebook and the blog.

I'm back now! I'm ready to tackle this cooking blog. Oddly enough, this recipe did not come from Mammy's notebook. My boyfriend, Cory, asked me to make him a peach cobbler. Unfortunately, Mammy didn't have a peach cobbler recipe. I turned to my second favorte cookbook instead.


If you don't know me or don't know me very well then we need to get one major fact out of the way. I am in love with Garth Brooks. I love his music, him, and anything associated with him. So naturally I had to buy the Trisha Yearwood cookbook with a foreward by Garth. This is an awesome cookbook. I have made several things out of here and that Trisha knows what she is doing.

I digressed a tiny bit! I'll do that from time to time so just stick with me. Anyway, here is the recipe for a fantastic peach cobbler!

2     15-ounce cans sliced peaches in syrup
1/2  cup (1 stick) butter
1     cup self-rising flour
1     cup sugar
1     cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain 1 can of peaches; reserve the syrup from the other.

Place the butter in a 9 x 13-inch ovenproof baking dish. heat the butter in the oven until it's melted.


In a medium bowl, mix the flour and sugar. I'm sure if you only have a large bowl or a small bowl that will work too. The recipe will not be ruined by the size of the container you decide to mix it in. I've never understood why people get so specific with their recipes! (See I digressed again.)



Stir in the milk and the reserved syrup. As a side note you should have 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of syrup. This part was frustrating because it took forever to get all the clumps out. Just keep stiring and crushing the clumps of flour.


Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and pour the batter over the melted butter. Arrange the peaches over the batter. Most of the batter will flee to the outside edges of the pan. Don't get discouraged, there is no way around that.


Bake for 1 hour. The cobbler is done when the batter rises around the peaches and the crust is thick and golden brown. The picture does the cobbler no justice. The lighting was terrible in the kitchen.


This cobbler was so easy to make. I had never made one before so I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing. I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it turned out to be! Cory loved it too so I'm putting this one in the "win" category.






No comments:

Post a Comment