Monday, March 7, 2011

Cookbook Mondays: Butter cake with caramel sauce

Welcome to Cookbook Mondays! Last Monday I baked Cowboy Cookies. Today is Butter Cake with a caramel sauce. Here is how my adventure went...

Well, I definitely understand why my great-grandmother named this Butter Cake. This recipe called for 2 whole sticks of butter! Like most cakes it called for flour and eggs as well. Most people could probably add all these ingredients with no problem, but I am clearly not most people...


The whole counter was covered with a while film where the blender kicked everything back out that I had just put in. Then I had a massive overflow of flour which resulted in the above picture. You can see where I made a feeble attempt to clean it up.

The cake was fairly easy to make once I finally got it all mixed together. The batter was not as thick as I was expecting, but I think the cake turned out okay.


The hard part of today was definitely the caramel sauce. The recipe was extremely vague. Plus my lack of knowledge of how a double boiler works did not help either. I thought something was terribly wrong when I smelled smoke. That, thankfully, was just a cheerio I had dropped in the burner.



The recipe said to cook it in the double boiler until it was thick. Well....I think I did indeed end up burning it. I'm not really sure! I poured it on the cake anyway. I thnk it is supposed to thicken up once it cools.



Today's experiment did not exactly turn out like I wanted it! I'm not sure how it tastes, but it doesn't look too tasty. I was fully expecting a beautifully baked cake with a creamy caramel topping. But, I knew when I started, that I was not going to be able to make everything perfectly just like my great-grandmother did. I am hoping next Monday will turn out a little better!

Butter Cake

1 cup        butter
2 cup        sugar
1 tsp          vanilla
4                eggs
2 1/2 cup    self rising flour
3/4 cup       milk

Cream butter and add sugar. Gradually beat until fluffy. Add vanilla. Add one egg at a time and beat well after adding each one. Add flour and milk alternately. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes in a 13x9 inch pan.

Caramel Sauce

2                eggs
1/2 pt         cream
1/2 tsp        salt
1 cup          brown sugar

Beat eggs well. Stir in salt and cream. Add brown sugar and butter. Cook in double boiler until thick.

2 comments:

  1. Haha.I love the cheerio part! I'll taste it for you if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than welcome to try it sis! I think it's okay. Could be better!

    ReplyDelete