Friday, April 22, 2011

The day I almost became a pirate!

It's finally Friday, and as we all know, that means absolutely nothing to me. Even though I do not recognize Friday, I hope it has been wonderful for you! Moving right along...

1. The Reader of the Week this week is....Erica Forrest! She gave me an awesome shout out in her blog, J & E. <---- Click here. Erica, your prize for being this week's ROTW is that your blog will now become famous because I have mentioned you. You're welcome.

2. Someone asked me to make three pies for a Relay for Life bake sale. I thought I had four pie crusts, but I only had three so I couldn't make myself one. It was pure torture looking at them sitting on my counter. I was torn between donating all three pies or keeping one for myself, but I figured that would result in bad karma. Who steals pie from cancer patients??

 3. After reading through other people's blogs I've noticed a trend. There is What I'm Loving Wednesdays and Thankful Thursdays. I am starting my own! Fun Fact Friday! I know, I'm a genius. Here is the fun fact this week.

Backrub was the original name for Google search engine. 


I am afraid I am losing my awesomeness by telling you all these embarrassing stories about myself. Today, I've decided to go with the epic tale of how I lost my right eye. Let me set the scene...

It was a hot, sunny afternoon on June 4, 2004. It was lunch time at the place I use to work at. A few of us decided to go grab some lunch together at Subway.


There were six of all together that went to lunch. We rode in two separate cars. Four of us (including myself) were in a white Camry and the other two were in a black truck. We, in the white Camry, were pulling out first. As you can see from my expertly drawn diagram, there are bushes that very inconveniently block your line of sight. A man in a van is waiting to turn in to Subway as we are ready to turn out. My friend, who was driving, could not see around the bushes or the van. He waved that the coast was clear. Here is what everything looked like immediately before the "incident Do you see a problem about to occur?


Can you guess what happened next? Yes, that's right. We believed the man in the van and we pulled out. See that white car that I circled? Yes, it hit us. The car was actually black but since the road was black I could not make a black car. Anyway, mayhem ensued after we hit. 


I was leaning forward in my seat (with my seat belt on) to see around the van to see if a car was coming. While this was a good thought on my part it really didn't do us much good because we got hit anyway. Because I was leaning forward, and the other car was going so fast, I flew head first into the windshield on impact. (Now this is the part where I was going to make myself sound heroic and calm but that would be a complete lie.) I got out of the car not yet realizing what kind of shape I was in. I remember walking to the side of the road very calmly. It took me about 10 seconds to realize I couldn't see. That is when I flipped out. Everything started to set in and I reached up to my face and realized I was bleeding. Then I really started to flip out! My friend was laying in the parking lot spread eagle screaming, "My dad is going to kill me!" I remember a guy in the parking lot looking at me and flinching. I turned to my friend that was in the black truck and he flinched too. Just so you know, flinching at your friend after a car wreck is not a good idea because I reached a whole new level of freaking out then. For some reason, my friend, the driver of the black truck thought it would be a good idea to take me to the hospital and not wait on the ambulance. At the time I was all for it because I was under the impression I was horribly disfigured. But wait, it gets better. My friend, the driver of the white Camry, decided to go to the hospital with us too! That's right, we all left the scene of the accident, with the car still sitting in the middle of the roadway. The ride to the hospital consisted of several phone calls that all ended in frantic voice mails being left by my friend. My mom, boyfriend, and sister were all under the impression I was either dead or dying. What made it even better was that life flight took off from the hospital when my family showed up. My mom cried and my boyfriend kept a ten foot distance from me. I had not looked in the mirror yet so this is what I was expecting...


I was in rough shape, but it was not nearly as bad as that. I was bleeding from my nose and eye and I had a pretty nasty scratch on my face. I ended up having to sleep upright for three days to let all the blood drain out of my eye...nasty I know. I also got to wear a sexy eye patch and old people wrap around sunglasses. I had to have surgery to fix my eye but I'm left with a pretty cool scar from the wreck. My iris was torn and this is what it looks like now.



Oh and the guy in the van drove away after the wreck. The girl in the black car was fine but it totaled her car. My friend's dad did not kill her. And we did not get a ticket for leaving the scene of the accident. Turned out pretty well if you ask me!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I've never thought of this story as funny, but reading your account of it was HISTERICAL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had told the fake story I use to tell where I heroically delivered a baby and put out a car fire.

    ReplyDelete