Friday, June 10, 2011

Teddy Ruxpin knows when you are sleeping

Happy Friday, Readers! There is not going to be a daily list of random today because I am entirely too lazy to think of things to put on the list. However, I have chosen a Reader of the Week!

**********drum roll**********

Doralyn Liddell

Dora just graduated from nursing school! She also always comments on my blogs. Which gave her way more points than the nursing degree. Congratulations Dora on being this week's ROTW! Your prize is eternal friendship. You're welcome.


*****If you were an 80s or 90s child you will understand and appreciate the content contained in this blog.*****

How many of you have looked back on your childhood and thought, "Wow, we had some creepy toys." And by creepy I mean that the toy produced a terror in your soul that would haunt you in your dreams years down the road. Of course at the time we thought these instruments of Satan were fun and cuddly. Looking back now though we see that these toys were obviously not created by people who had children. Or even knew what a child looked like. 

Take for instance the Teddy Ruxpin. Teddy was an easy way for parents to get out of reading stories to their children. In 1992 he appeared to be a soft cuddly bear who would read stories to you and take you on splendid adventures. Looking back I have no idea why I was not curled up in the fetal position hiding under my bed. They gave him amber colored eyes. Who gives a bear red eyes?? They also poorly disguised the tape player inside his body so he constantly made grinding and popping noises. I found my Teddy Ruxpin in the garage last year and much to my horror...he still worked. His batteries had to be almost 15 years old, but yet he still talked! You can't tell me that isn't creepy! Here is a video I took of my Teddy...if you listen closely you can hear him summon the Dark Lord.

 

There was one toy that I believe struck fear into the hearts of children even back in the 90s. It was creepy then and it is creepy now. That toy was the Furby!

I can't even look at it! Why doesn't it have arms?? The makers of this toy intended for it to be like a replacement pet. They gave it the ability to to play and learn without you having to clean up after it. Why did I want an armless hard ball of fur to play with?? The creators of this demon toy had a cruel sense of humor though. Does everyone remember this seemingly cuddly animal??


You see my point now?! I had a very frightening run-in with my Furby that resulted in it having its batteries ripped from it. In an effort to make it even more creepy the creators made it so that the furry demon could sense light. It also would learn your name and imitate the phone ringing. I couldn't ever get it to shut up at night because I had a street light that shined in my window. I decided to stick the fur ball in my closet one night in an effort to get some sleep. In the darkness this is what I heard...


Well you know what Furby?! I'm scared of the dark now too. Thanks.


One final creepy toy of the 80s and 90s is the American Girl dolls. I can't believe they are still around. I don't care what anyone says, they are not cute or adorable. They are weird. They don't bend. They stand up on their own. And they stare at you in the night.


Look at them. It's like a little army of possessed dolls. Have you ever woken up to one of these staring at you?? It's terrifying. And why do people want one that looks just like them? I don't want a doll version of myself staring at me while I sleep. *shudder*

Well that was a fun rant. Hope you enjoyed that. I'm probably going to have nightmares now.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!! So excited to be ROTW!!! AND I too am afraid of the dark!

    ReplyDelete